Straight Talk & sister company Net 10 recently started selling SIM cards that can turn many different types of phones into a no-contract phone for use on the nationwide networks of major cellular carriers AT&T and T-Moble. The Straight Talk SIM Card option allows for “unlimited” data, unlimited text and unlimited calling for $45/month (with no extra taxes or fees!) The Net 10 SIM Card option allows for 1.5GB of data, unlimited calling and unlimited text for $50/month (with no extra taxes or fees!) There has been a lot of confusion about what phones will and won’t work with Straight Talk & Net 10′s service, so I’m offering this guide as a way for people to understand which phones will and won’t work with Straight Talk & Net 10.
If you aren’t familiar with Straight Talk, take a moment to read our writeup about some of the advantages and disadvantages of choosing Straight Talk’s prepaid, no contract required ceullar service.
When you’re ready to purchase your SIM, please be sure to see our money-saving tips below to save even more!
Keep reading to find out which phones will and won’t work with Straight Talk & Net 10 SIM:
Phones that will work with Straight Talk SIM
Below is a list of some of the most popular phones on the market that will work with Straight Talk SIM. Before we get to that, here’s the basic criteria for a phone to work on Straight Talk SIM:
- (1) Phone must be a GSM phone.
- If your phone was under contract with AT&T, Cingular or T-Mobile it is a GSM phone and it should work. If you want to be 100% sure if it will work, check step #2 below.
- If your phone was under contract with Verizon or Sprint it is NOT a GSM phone, and you cannot use it with Straight Talk. Consider purchasing a low-cost phone from Straight Talk or purchasing a new or used GSM phone (see list below).
- If you don’t know if your phone is a GSM phone, enter the phone’s model number into our custom Google phone search engine. The search will list several search results that detail the specifications for your phone. Look in the specification for something that says “Modes” or “Bands”. If it says GSM, you have one more step to check related to the bands the phone operates on, proceed to the second point below. If it lists only CDMA or only TDMA, the phone will NOT work with Straight Talk SIM, as the phone must also support GSM for it to work.
- (2) Phone must operate on the Straight Talk GSM frequencies (850 and 1900 MHz).
- Most GSM phones that were originally made for the United States market will support both of these bands.
- If you don’t know what bands your phone supports, If you don’t know if your phone is a GSM phone, enter the phone’s model number into our custom Google phone search engine. The search will list several search results that detail the specifications for your phone. Look in the specification for something that says “Modes” or “Bands”. Look for GSM 850 and GSM 1900 listed among the supported bands. This may be listed like “GSM 850 1900″ or “GSM 850/1900″ or “GSM 850/900/1800/1900″. As long as you see both 850 and 1900, you are all set.
- (3) Phone must be either unlocked, or locked to AT&T, or locked to T-Mobile.
Popular Phones that work with Straight Talk SIM
Below is a list of popular phones that will work with Straight Talk SIM. If the original carrier for these phones was not AT&T or T-Mobile, they will need to be unlocked to work with Straight Talk.
Click on the phone for more information or to purchase the phone.
|Phone / Model||Model Number||Phone Type||Original Carrier(s)||Needs Unlocking?|
|Apple iPhone 3||iPhone||AT&T||No|
|Apple iPhone 3GS||iPhone||AT&T||No|
|Apple iPhone 4 (GSM)||iPhone||AT&T||No|
|Apple iPhone 4S||iPhone||AT&T, Verizon, Sprint||AT&T – No, Others – Yes|
|Apple iPhone 5 (GSM)||iPhone||AT&T, Verizon, Sprint||AT&T – No, Others – Yes|
|Google Nexus One||Android||AT&T, T-Mobile||No|
|HP Pre 3||Palm||International||Likely|
|HTC Amaze 4G||Android||T-Mobile||No|
|HTC HD2||Windows Mobile||T-Mobile||No|
|HTC Inspire 4G||Android||AT&T||No|
|HTC myTouch 4G Slide / 4G / 3G Slide||Android||T-Mobile||No|
|LG Nexus 4||Nexus 4||Android||Any Carrier||No|
|LG Optimus 4X HD||P880||Android||Various||No|
|LG Optimus G Pro||E975||Android||Various||Unlikely|
|LG Optimus L9||P769||Android||T-Mobile||No|
|Motorola Atrix 2||Android||AT&T||No|
|Motorola Atrix 4G||Android||AT&T||No|
|Motorola Droid 2 Global||Android||International||Likely|
|Motorola Droid 3||Android||International||Likely|
|Motorola Droid Pro||Android||International||Likely|
|Nokia 5230 Neuron||5230||Nokia||International||Likely|
|Nokia Lumina 800||Windows Mobile||International||Likely|
|Nokia Lumina 900||Windows Mobile||AT&T||No|
|Samsung Focus||i917||Windows Mobile||AT&T||No *MMS may not work|
|Samsung Galaxy Ace 2||i8160||Android||Various||No|
|Samsung Galaxy Note||SGH-I717||Android||AT&T||No|
|Samsung Galaxy Note II||GT-N7100||Android||AT&T, T-Mobile||No|
|Samsung Galaxy S||I9000||International||Likely|
|Samsung Galaxy S 4G||Android||T-Mobile||No|
|Samsung Galaxy S II||SGH-T989, SGH-i777||Android||AT&T, T-Mobile||No|
|Samsung Galaxy S II Skyrocket||Android||AT&T||No|
|Samsung Galaxy S 4||i9500||Android||AT&T, T-Mobile||No|
|Samsung Galaxy S III||i9300||Android||AT&T, T-Mobile||No|
|Samsung Galaxy S III Mini||i8190||Android||International||No|
|Samsung Google Nexus S||GT i9020||Android||AT&T, T-Mobile||No|
|Samsung Infuse 4G||Android||AT&T||No|
|Samsung Vibrant 4G||Android||T-Mobile||No|
|Samsung Vibrant Plus||Android||T-Mobile||No|
|Sony Xperia SL||LT26II||Android||Various||No|
|Sony Xperia P||LT22i-RD||Android||International||No|
|Sony Xperia S||LT26i-WH||Android||International||No|
|Sony Xperia Z||C6602||Android||Any Carrier||No|
Once you have found the phone that suits you, head over to Straight Talk and buy your Straight Talk SIM!
Phones that won’t work with Straight Talk SIM
- CDMA Phones (i.e. Verizon, Sprint, Metro PCS)
- TracFone, SafeLink, NET10, Straight Talk Phones
- BlackBerry Phones
- Nextel Phones
Purchasing Your Straight Talk / Net 10 SIM
To purchase your Straight Talk SIM, simply head over to Straight Talk and place your order. The purchase wizard will walk you through selecting the proper SIM for your phone. Please note that as of Summer 2013, AT&T SIM cards are not currently available from Straight Talk directly, however they are available on the open market.
To purchase your Net 10 SIM, simply head over to Net 10 and place your order. The purchase wizard will walk you through selecting the proper SIM for your phone. Please note that as of Summer 2013, AT&T SIM cards are not currently available from Net 10 online, however they are available in stores – Walmart, Radio Shack and others have the cards available for purchase.
If you want to save the maximum amount on your Straight Talk or Net 10 SIM, use the links above. You can also see our earlier post on Straight Talk regarding how to use Mr. Rebates to save 10% off your Straight Talk purchase + get a $7.50 bonus! Net 10 has a similar offer, but with them you can save 15% off your purchase by going through Mr. Rebates! Check out our earlier post for details.
If you have a question on whether another phone not listed here will work on Straight Talk or Net 10 SIM, leave a question below in the comments.